Edric Ong is a multi-awarded Malaysian designer of natural dye textiles, fashion and crafts. He is the President of Society Atelier Sarawak, the Arts and Crafts Society of Sarawak in East Malaysia. He is also the President of the ASEAN Handicraft Promotion and Development Association (AHPADA), an organization that administers the UNESCO-AHPADA Craft Seal of Excellence since 2000.
Currently he is Advisor and Past Senior Vice President of the World Crafts Council Asia Pacific.
An architect by training, he has designed several landmarks such as the Sarawak Cultural Village and the Kuching International Airport in Sarawak, East Malaysia. His interest in the heritage of his country has inspired him to write several books eg. Sarawak Style, Pua-Kumbu-Iban Textiles; Woven Dreams-Ikat Textiles of Sarawak.
A noted speaker at International conferences, he has set up the World Eco-Fiber and Textile (WEFT) Network to further the cause of natural fibers and dyes. He is the Convener of the Biennial WEFT Forum.
He has won several awards including the MERCEDES BENZ/STYLO Asian Fashion Award 2016-Global Fashion Influencer; Malaysian Designer of the Year 2009;ASEAN Silk Textile Awards 2009; Aid to Artisans Advocate Award 2006; Penyokong Kraf Negara (National NGO Award); Australia Culture Award; Pegawai Bintang Sarawak; and received World Crafts Council Award of Excellence; Seals of Excellence from UNESCO-AHPADA and the Japanese G-Mark for many of his designs in the arts and crafts.
He has curated many exhibitions in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Korea, Australia, Japan, India, France, Sweden, United Kingdom and USA. He is on the Panel of Experts for UNESCO and a Jury member for the UNESCO Award for Excellence for Handicrafts.
- Aid to Artisans Advocate Award 2006
- Seals of Excellence for Craft Products from UNESCO-World Crafts Council 2001-2014
- Japanese G-Mark for Good Design in Lifestyle/Home Accessories
- Penyokong Kraf Negara (Malaysian National Non –Governmental Organization Award) 2007
- MERCEDES BENZ/STYLO ASIAN FASHION AWARD 2016- GLOBAL FASHION INFLUENCER
- MALAYSIAN DESIGNER OF THE YEAR AWARD 2009 (MERCEDES BENZ/STYLO)
- STYLO Kuala Lumpur Fashion Festival Heritage Award 2008
- Australia Culture Award
- Pegawai Bintang Sarawak(Officer of the Star of Sarawak), Malaysia Award from the Sarawak State Government
- President of Society Atelier Sarawak, Malaysia. (since 1999)
- Senior Vice-President, World Crafts Council Asia Pacific 2008, 2012 to date
- Board Member, Crafts Council of Malaysia
- Past President of the ASEAN Handicraft Promotion and Development Association (AHPADA)
- Consultant to UNESCO on Heritage, Architectural Conservation and Crafts
- Jury member of UNESCO Award of Excellence for Crafts
- Curator of international exhibitions on crafts and textiles
- Architect ( Edric Ong Architect; Malaysian Association Architects ( Sarawak); Kumpulan Filipino Malaysian Architect)
- Author and International speaker on Architectural Conservation, Crafts and Textiles
- Founder and Convener of the biennial World Eco-Fiber and Textile (WEFT) Forum 1999, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2010, and the ISEND/WEFT 2012 held in Kuching Sarawak Malaysia